Jesus' Invasion Equals Satan's Eviction S2 E3 Notes
Season 2 - Going Public
Episode 3 - “Jesus' Invasion Equals Satan's Eviction”
Pastor Adam James, May 12, 2019
Text: Luke 4:31-37
Jesus is on the move, gloves are off, mic is dropped…he’s declared his mission/ministry (from Isa. 61 in Nazareth) and has now relocated to Capernaum to demonstrate his power & authority in fulfilling his mission/ministry.
I. The emotional confidence and security of Jesus in the face of such deep rejection in Nazareth
- Obeying God can be hard, it can lead to rejection, but Jesus sets us a good example of staying the course, undeterred, unphased by rejection…
- Confidence Source: the security of His identity & clarity of His purpose/mission
II. The significance of Capernaum
- Base of operations for much of Jesus’ ministry
- Home of Peter, Andrew, James & John …calling of the first disciples
- Where Jesus called Matthew the tax collector
- It was the scene of many "mighty works" (Matthew 11:23; Mark 1:34).
- In the synagogue Jesus delivered His discourse on the bread of life (John 6).
Two Aspects of Jesus’ Authority: Teaching & Power
Facts About Satan & Demons
Responses to Jesus’ Authority
Good News for Today
I) Two Amazing Aspects of Jesus’ Authority:
- His Teaching: Jesus, The Amazing Teacher - Declarative Authority
- Ex. - Sermon on the Mount… “You have heard it said…but I say…”
- Jesus taught and preached with authority… He knew the Word, He spoke the Word… His teaching and preaching would have hit like THUNDER…
- Jesus was not boring!
- His Power Over Demons: Jesus, the Exorcist - Demonstrative Authority
“The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.” - 1 Jn 3:8
- Luke 4 starts with Satan tempting Jesus and ends with Jesus casting out demons.
- “Be Quiet!” (“Be Muzzled!”) - Nothing good has ever come from Satan’s speech.
- “Come Out!” - How Jesus deals with Demons… short, sweet, simple, to the point
- Note: Demon-possession is a real thing, distinct from mental illness and other physical diseases (insanity, epilepsy, blind, deaf, mute…)
- Jesus' Authority Is Rooted in His Identity: "Holy One of God" - Intrinsic Authority
- EMPHASIS: The Power of His WORD… “just say the word”
II) Facts About Satan and Demons
What They Know: Know Jesus’ identity, Know Scripture, Know their final destiny, & even Go to Church!
“You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.” Ja 2:19
What They Are: Created beings, real, they exist (finite abilities - not equal to God); Fallen angels (finite number), spiritual beings; Unredeemable & doomed to destruction; Stronger than you and I on our own, apart from Jesus (not to be taken lightly - Sons of Sceva…); Not our only enemy: world, flesh, devil - he’s happy just to get us to sin
What They Say & Do: Have nothing good to say…lie, accuse, hate, disrupt, confuse, divide; Oppose the mission of Jesus; Oppose Christians & the Church…can influence, oppress, lie, tempt, deceive, inhibit, bother, bitterness, unforgiveness, drunkenness, pride, impurity; Can posses/dominate non-Christians (varying degrees…ordinary & extraordinary); Fear Jesus…terror….shudder…
“A servant of Christ can no more avoid demons than a gardener can avoid weeds.” - Clinton Arnold (NT Scholar)
What They Can’t Do: Cannot possess a true Christian (Where the Spirit of the Lord is…there is Freedom!); Are no match for Jesus, the Holy Spirit or a born-again Christian (delegated authority); Repent, Forgive, Love or Worship Jesus
Illust. - Your Life is Like a House
Satan is a squatter… Jesus is the Landlord… returning to repossess what is rightfully his. Jesus came to clean house!
III) Responses to Jesus' Authority
- (people) Astonishment
- (people) Amazement
- (demon) Outburst & Terror
- (demon) Unwilling but unavoidable submission
- (people) Spread the Word
How will you respond to Jesus’ teaching, power, & authority?
- Stand in awe; Willingly Submit; & Spread the word
IV) Good News For Today
1. Jesus has all authority and power over evil
“Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.” (1 John 4:4)
2. Jesus is still on a mission of love & power to bring liberty to captives
“For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” - Col. 1:13-14
For Moms… Pray over your sons and daughters in the confidence and hope that the one you are praying to is greater than the one who seeks to steal, kill, & destroy. Jesus gives sons & daughters back to moms & dads - He sets captives free!