Parents, Prophets, and Prepartion: Who Is Jesus S1 E6 Notes
Season 1 - Meet The Family
Episode 6- “Parents, Prophets, & Preparation”
Pastor Adam James, March 10th, 2019
Text: Luke 1:57-80
Has your mouth ever gotten you in trouble? (There’s hope for the men!)
Last couple weeks focused on the women (Mary & Elizabeth), this week more focus on the men (Zechariah & John).
Real Greatness, Real Manhood = Kingdom Contribution, Devotion to the Lord
I. PARENTS: Zechariah & Elizabeth
- Humble, rural pastor’s family (hill country of Judea, small town ministry folk)
- Broken-hearted, longing for Israel & a child
Faithful Jewish couple, emotion of fulfillment re: Messiah hard to imagine… (Illust. “Captain Phillips”; POWs & American Bombers… Liberation at last!)
- Personal level & Cosmic level
- Faith-filled (but a work in progress)
Zechariah doubted…How can I be sure?… real stuff/struggles
“Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.” (Proverbs 13:12)
- Sweetened by Affliction (teachable)
9-month Affliction did a good work in Zechariah… don’t despise affliction, use it for your growth in godliness. How do you respond to adversity/affliction?
“Sanctified afflictions are spiritual promotions.”
- Spirit-filled (Elizabeth, John, & Zechariah…all filled with the Spirit, one baptism/many fillings… How? prayer-ask!, repentance, trust, obedience, worship, longing)
- Kingdom-minded (longed for the fulfillment of God’s purposes, awaited the coming Messiah/King & His Kingdom… God was #1 priority)
- Prayerful (Blessing Mary, Blessing John… praying for, praying over…the hand of the Lord! This is how parents should pray!)
- Obedient (“His name is John.” Dad was on board with God’s plan for his son!)
II. PROPHET: John the Baptist
- Prophet: “In the spirit and power of Elijah” - OT fulfillment (Isa. & Mal.)
- Filled with the Spirit, Set apart from birth - No alcohol, filled (Eph. 3:18)
- The hand of the Lord was with him - More than parents, more than teachers, coaches, bosses…all significant - who do you give access/influence to your kids? - what’s really needed above all is the hand of the Lord upon your life…
- His birth broke the silence of Zechariah & the silence of God - From silence to prophesy. What happens to Zechariah is also happening to all of Israel through John’s birth, a prophet is born, God’s silence is breaking, God is speaking
- Powerful preacher - Messiah?? (Luke 3:15)…powerful, forceful…
- “No one greater than John” - Jesus (Luke 7)
- Message=Repentance for forgiveness, baptism of repentance (Lk 3)
- Baptized thousands - Pointed them to Jesus!
- Courageous - Called Herod to repent!
- Imprisoned & Beheaded by Herod… 6 month ministry!!
What makes you great?
The hand of the Lord…
The work of the Holy Spirit… strong in spirit…
Personal preparation…purity & devotion to the Lord…
Pointing people to Jesus
III. PREPARATION: Pointing to Jesus
- The fulfillment of God’s promise…the coming Messiah
- Salvation = Redemption (v.68)
- Salvation = Liberation (v.71, 74)
- Salvation = Empowered to Serve (v.74b-75)
- Salvation = Forgiveness of Sins (v.77)
- Salvation = Light, Life, & Peace (v.79)
1. Affliction: Turn affliction into a promotion. (See Isa. 30:19-21)
2. Parents/Fathers/Men: Be in the game.
3. The Hand of the Lord: Nothing replaces or compares to the hand of the Lord.
4. The Silence is Broken: Listen, Obey, Prepare
5. Salvation: Do you know that your sins are forgiven? Do you have light, life, & peace?
6. What do you hear God saying to you?