Roof Crashers S2 E6 Notes
Season 2 - Going Public
Episode 6 - "Roof Crashers”
Pastor Josh McPherson, June 9, 2019
Text: Luke 5:17-26
The Story’s Characters: Friends, Pharisees, & Jesus
How is the mission of the church like roof crashing?
Roof Crashers are…
- Motivated by Love (“You won’t help anyone you don’t love.”)
- Anchored by Conviction (“Jesus is our friend’s only hope.”)
- Undeterred by Road Blocks
- Unafraid of Hard Work
- Unaware of Awkward Looks
- Sustained by Persistence
- Free of Self-consciousness
- Marked by Sacrifice
- Driven by Determination
- Willing to be Creative
“There is a time for waiting to see if God will make a way, and there is a time to get inside even if you have to tear the roof off.”
The Roof Crasher’s Declaration - Acts 4:12 (Peter)
“Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
The Roof Crasher’s Strategy - 1 Cor. 9:19… (Paul)
“Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible… I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.”
The Roof Crasher’s Posture - Matt. 11:12 (Jesus)
“And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.” (NKJV)
The Beauty… Not all of us will be all of these things all of the time...that's why the mission of Roof Crashing is a team sport.
THE RELIGIOUS - PHARISEES
“Pharisees had a right theology of God, they just didn't have a relationship with God.”
Irony: The biggest hurdle of getting the paralyzed man to Jesus was the religious people. (Note: There’s a little religiosity in all of us.)
- Jesus perceives our inner thoughts. (v.22)
- Jesus deals with our primary problem that we often miss. (20)
- Jesus has authority over all things and the power to do all things. (v.22-25)
BIG IDEA #1 - Sometimes our felt needs initially bring us to Jesus and that’s ok.
BIG IDEA #2 - Every step of the forgiven man or woman is a credit to the glory and power of God.
BIG IDEA #3 - The greatest miracle is spiritual healing (forgiveness of sins), without which you’ll never experience physical healing.
BIG IDEA #4 - Saving faith is seen faith.
“Sometimes the mission of God demands we crash the roof, and sometimes the mission of God demands we build a roof.” (pictures of building!)
2 Ways to Do Church:
Sitting in church, fact-checking Jesus, OR
Crashing in the roof to get people to Jesus
Who do you know who needs brought to Jesus?
What are you willing to do to bring them to Jesus?
Thanks be to God…He dug through the roof of the world and lowered Jesus down not to be healed, but to be the Healer.
Getting to Know Me
- What are you most looking forward to this summer?
- What would you say is the most "courageous" thing you've done?
Into the Bible
Read 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.
- In what ways was Paul "free"? In what ways was Paul a "slave"?
- What was Paul's driving passion or motivation?
- What role does "creativity" play in reaching people for Christ? Do you have any examples of using appropriate freedom to try and reach people without sinning?
- What was your main take away from Pastor Josh’s sermon? How were you impacted/encouraged? Did you have an “ah-ha” moment or realize something new for the first time?
- What stands out most to you about this story in Luke 5:17-26?
- From the description of “Roof Crashers”, what qualities or characteristics do you most need to grow in? Which ones stand out to you the most right now?
- From the description of the Pharisees…be honest…what qualities or characteristics have you seen in yourself?
- Did “felt needs” play a role in your coming to Jesus? If so, what were those and how did you come to realize the “primary/deeper problem”?
- Talk through the “Big Ideas”… how do these apply to where you’re at currently?
- What is one action step to take, and one prayer to pray, in response to this sermon?