The Way of War: Who Is Jesus S2 E1 notes
Season 2 - Going Public
Episode 1 - “The Way of War”
Pastor Josh McPherson, April 28th, 2019
Text: Luke 4:1-13
“I Do” Illustration:
You say “I do” (yes) to a person, not a detailed plan
Your one “I do” (yes) is only as good as your 10,000 “I don’ts” (no’s!)
4 Essentials To Knowing Your Enemy
Your Enemy is Real (v.2)
“There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them.” - CS Lewis, Screwtape Letters
“The greatest trick the devil every pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.” - Kevin Spacey, The Usual Suspects
Your Enemy is Strategic (v.2)
The enemy will HIT you when you are Hungry, Isolated, & Tired.
Your Enemy is Persistent (v.2, 13)
Your Enemy Hates You
4 Observations in the Fight Against Our Enemy
1. Your hardest tests often come after your greatest moments. (The timing… Jesus was just baptized, full of the Holy Spirit)
2. Temptation is not sin. (Jesus was tempted yet without sin. Heb. 4:14-16)
3. The Enemy’s temptation is often the Lord’s testing. (God does not sin and He does not tempt. But he allows temptation to test us - who will we worship? The Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness… between his baptism and his ministry was the testing.)
4. Just because somebody uses a Bible verse doesn’t mean it’s true. (Satan knows Scripture…but he takes Ps. 91:10-11 out of context… he twists/misuses it.)
6 Ways of Warfare: How to Win Against the Enemy
Jesus is your EXAMPLE (Heb. 2:17-18)
It was real temptation, Jesus wasn’t cheating
He felt the full weight of temptation because he never gave in
Illust. - A weightlifter without a spotter…feels the full weight.
The Holy Spirit is your POWER
We don’t want to be “spiritual” - beware of spiritualism - we want to be Spirit-filled.
We are finite, we need to tap into the infinite power of the Spirit.
This passages is bracketed by references to the Holy Spirit.
The Word is your WEAPON (Ps. 119:9-11)
Whatever thought we don’t take captive will take us captive.
How’s your knowledge of Scripture? Are you a fighter?
Jesus was a fighter.
Your Worship is your BATTLEFRONT
What is sin? Sin is worshiping Satan.
At the bottom of temptation is the question, “Who am I going to follow? Who am I going to worship? Who am I going to love?”
Your yes to Jesus is your worship… your yes needs to be bigger than the temptation.
Jesus is your VICTOR (Col. 2:13-15; Heb. 2:14-15)
He’s not just your example…He is the Victor…
Because Jesus is the Victor, when you fail, you can get back up and keep fighting.
Jesus always makes a WAY OUT (1 Cor. 10:13)
- There is a way out… you can get free…